Sunday 18 November 2012

The Telling on Twinkies

  The big news on the internet block this weekend has been the closure of Hostess Brands aka the manufacturer of the  proposed apocalypse-surviving Twinkie. Although Twinkie production in Canada will still be ongoing, Saputo Inc. has the right to the product, many Americans mourned their loss of the sugar-filled cake snack with plenty of memes, tumblr posts, and twitter statuses on Friday. But is it really a bad thing that these snacks are soon to be  off the shelf? 

  Let's get real here. First off, were Twinkies ever really THAT good? Yes they gave a nice hit of sugar, but did I ever, or my friends/family, truly crave a Twinkie? Did I ever browse through the shelves and grab a box because I suddenly was reminded how delectable they were? No. Sure they hit the sweet spot occasionally, but I never truly was a fan. Secondly, they are the opposite of a NANS-friendly snack. Packing 150 calories and 18 grams of sugar per Twinkie, they are devoid of any nutritional goodness. 

  With the state of many Americans health right now I don't think they should be mourning this loss, I think they should be thankful it.

- Maggie

Reference: http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/11/internet-mourns-twinkies-as-hostess-shuts-down-operations.html

No comments:

Post a Comment